Sterling silver oxidizing tip

Jewelry makers often use liver of sulphur to oxidize their silver jewelry. This tarnishes the silver which can then be polished. The tarnish stays in the recesses and the polished raised parts become more distinctive. Here's an example of what I mean:


See how the silver is shiny in the outer parts of the wirewrapping? The dark inner parts contrasting with the polished lighter parts give the piece more definition and add an antique-y quality to your jewelry.



Here's how you do it:
Ok, so here's what you do if you want to try this technique without trying to hunt down the liver of sulphur and shelling out.

You can oxidize sterling silver with a boiled egg. Chop up a boiled egg and place it in a baggie with your silver for a few hours or until the silver has darkened to your liking. It will turn yellow yellow then pinkish purplish bluish, then greyish blackish. Wash off the silver with soapy water and you are ready to go. The sulphur in the egg yolk causes the reaction. Don't freak out because your jewellery or wire has turned black if you do this! This is a good thing. Just shine it up with some steel wool and/ or a polishing cloth. This technique is not very cost-effective in quantity but is great in a pinch.

Coming soon: how to oxidize silver using liver of sulphur

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post on an alternate way of doing this. I am deathly allergic(seriously) to sulfur and thought I'd never be able to do this technique!
Now I have an alternative in the event I chose to do so!
THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for showing people how to do this. I tried to boiled egg method (and almost puked cause I hate boiled eggs) but it didn't work for me. I'm trying again if I can stand it.

Love your jewelry - allyson

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note - after looking all over the internet I found a fairly quick and easy method - household bleach. I was going to try the egg thing but didn't have the patience to wait until I got home. So I looked around work and found what I needed. I placed my ring in a small beaker and covered it with bleach and it was black in a few minutes. Very simple very easy, very effective. --Mike