How to Oxidize Silver and Copper Jewelry with Liver of Sulphur

Look at the color of that silver! Blackened to perfection. I neglected to take a picture of the before, but everyone knows what shiny white silver looks like right?

I am a bit of a jewelry magazine junkie so I know that wire wrapping has been a popular topic in the past couple of years. You have probably admired gorgeous patinated jewelry and wondered how that's done. Well read on and I'll tell you how I blacken silver and copper.

Liver of Sulphur is a chemical you can buy from a jewelry supply vendor (I get mine from Lacy and Co. in Canada). It's a little stinky, like rotten eggs so make sure you use it in a well ventilated area.

When you open the jar, you will see sharp lumpy rocklike chunks. Before I knew what it looked like, I had always wondered so I took a picture for you, dear reader.


Here are the steps I use to oxidize silver and copper.

  1. Put a pea-sized chunk in a glass bowl that is big enough to hold the item you wish to oxidize. Break up a bigger piece if necessary by smashing it with something hard.
  2. Fill the bowl with hot tap water.
  3. Use a plastic or wooden implement to mix the solution until the liver of sulphur is dissolved.
  4. Place your item in the hot water solution and leave it there until it darkens to your satisfaction. The longer you leave it, the darker it gets.
  5. Take your item out of the solution and rinse it well with water. I use hot water and then cold when I rinse.
  6. I flush the solution down the toilet when I no longer need it. I always make up a new solution when I oxidize. I don't know what happens if you try to reuse the solution but the chemical is so inexpensive I have never looked into reusing it.
*Always remember to use gloves whenever you handle any kind of chemical

That's it!

Here are some additional tips:
  • Oxidizing seems to work better if you can keep the solution hot. I use a coffee cup warmer under my glass bowl.
  • Oxidizing wire beforehand is a great time saver and has no effect on the finished jewelry in my opinion.
  • Polishing your finished oxidized jewelry creates depth; the crevices remain dark, while the shininess of the raised polished parts of the piece add extra interest.
  • Using a tumbler to polish is another great time saver that imparts a beautiful shine not easily accomplished when hand polishing.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial.
Next tutorial: Tumble-polishing your oxidized silver jewelry.

Resources mentioned: Lacy and Company Online Store : Jewellery Tools and Supplies

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I just recently signed with you and just this morning I was telling myself that I wanted to learn how to oxidize silver and then I opened my email and there was this one from you. THANKS!!!!

Designs By Marylou

Athena's Armoury said...

Great How-To! Thanks!
-Janine

Ellene McClay said...

thanks for this great tutorial. I've been thinking about this for at least 6 months, and have been scared to use toxic stuff. I'm still not sure. I don't really do wire-wrapping stuff, more like little handmade bails and linking beads together, but I love the dark contrast. I'll refer to your blog when I take the plunge.

Maz Simpson said...

Fabulous tutorial! I have been making wire jewellery for a few months - and finally got some Liver of Sulphur today (I have only used a boiled egg before!!). This was just the information I was looking for.. I'm not feeling quite so scared of it now...I'm off to play! Thank you - Maz :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I was in search of such great ideas for my new pearl necklace purchased from CouponAlbum site.

Leila Marvel said...

Thank you for the helpful tutorial! I really want to get some of the Liver of Sulphur. I can't wait to start playing, thanks again for being so helpful to the community!

Anonymous said...

be careful with Liver of Sulphur. if it mixes with something acidic, such as left-over pickle on a piece, or citric acid from a "green" cleaner, etc.... it will produce hydrogen sulfide, which is very very toxic. Also, don't let liver of sulphur overheat and boil.

Unknown said...

thank you for posting a great tutorial for oxidizing silver. I have one other question, do you have a recommendation for how to keep the silver oxidized. It seems that some jewelers put some sort of coating to keep the oxidization on the pieces. As people wear my oxidized pieces some of it simply rubs off. thank you for your help!

Katie L. said...

Great tutorial! I was wondering if I could post a link to it )and your other tutorials) on my How Do You Do... blog that lists a bunch of different tutorials. Just let me know! :)
Katie

Nirmala Nathan Singh said...

Thanks, it was so useful for me. I would like to know if the same method can be used for 22 carat gold jewellery. Shall be very greatful if you could et me know how to oxidize my 22 carat gold jewellery.
Thanks,
Nirmala Nathan

Anonymous said...

When oxidizing silver it is import to darken in steps. Dip your piece for 10-15 seconds and take it out to brass brush the finish and keep repeating this process over and over until the desired color is achieved. If you simply put it in until it gets dark the liver of sulfur creates a sort of shell around the silver which easily flakes off.

Christine said...

RE: Darkening in steps: You don't have to dip, brush, dip , brush. If you do, it's because your LOS solution is waaaay too strong.

Christine

Anonymous said...

I recently purchased an oxidized silver ring with a tiny diamond set in the silver. The oxidation is definitely rubbing off. Is there any way to re-oxidize the silver and if so can I do it without damaging the diamond?

Please Help!
Megan

Sandy Texeira said...

I went to ask.com to get info on oxidizing my silver jewelry.Luckily
i came across your tutorial on your blog, absolutely great all my questions answered! Thanks so much

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Thank you for sharing this with us! I have oxidized copper with ammonia before but haven't tried the LOS yet. Love the black look!

jules said...

this may be a silly question, but do you oxidize the silver items, including wire before you make you jewelry piece? Or do you cut and oxidize each sterling piece of wire and finding then make the piece and then oxidize it? If you oxidize the piece once it is completed is there any risk to your pearls, semi-precius stones....etc.? I want to do this but I am not sure when you oxidize. In the beginning or at completion of piece.

Christine said...

I often oxidize the wire beforehand, but sometimes I do it after I make the jewelry. I mostly haven't had problems but I did have some honey jade turn a little greyish. I wouldn't try it with pearls because pearls are pretty soft. If in doubt, oxidize before.

Anonymous said...

Dipping and brass brushing sort of burnishes the patina to the surface of the metal, it will last longer. If it flakes off, that's because your solution is too strong. It doesn't take a lot. Also, this stuff should be neutralized before dumped. Add baking soda, a lot. It will fizz and turn dark, but it will be safe.

joanne said...

i own a chamilia charm bracelet...before reading the care instructions i stupidly put the bracelet with all the charms in a jewellery bath...it is now a silvery gold instead of the bright silver it was before...will this process restore my bracelet...i hope so...so disappointed!!!